2017 was…a mixed bag. Some of the highlights included:
- A fun family vacation in SoCal
- A successful talk at AngularConnect
- A new app for tracking spending called Swish
- My house painted (a big project we had been putting off for years)
- Learning more about product management, lean development and growing startups than ever before in my life
On the downside:
- The primary business model for my startup failed and we were forced to pivot
- As a result, we had to lay off a large portion of the team
- Also not unrelated I unfortunately accumulated significant credit card debt for the first time in my life
- Probably also not unrelated (but also just a byproduct of growing old), I had more health related issues than normal including my 3rd knee surgery
So, like I said. A mixed bag.
In addition to these specific highlights/lowlights there were also several intangible constants. I love my kids more than anything and it has been so amazing seeing them grow up throughout the year. More than anything else, I am just grateful that we are all (relatively) happy and healthy. Regardless of the stress I feel on a seemingly more regular basis these days, I thank God every day for everything. We are extremely lucky to be alive and truly blessed.